Where do you put a dehumidifier in a gun safe? It can be fully effective for protection only when you choose the right place, and we have the answer here!
A dehumidifier holds the key to eliminating factors like moisture and humidity inside the gun safe. It ensures a good condition to increase the lifespan of weapons for years. So, where do you put a dehumidifier in a gun safe for the highest effectiveness?
For those who are still confused a lot, we bring here an answer!
Where to put a dehumidifier in the gun safe?
Where Do You Put A Dehumidifier In A Gun Safe?
If you want to protect the gun safe from the growth of moisture, mold, and rust, installing a dehumidifier is essential. For the most effectiveness, choosing the right place for this device becomes more important.
There are three common types, including dehumidifier rod, desiccant-based dehumidifier & moisture absorber, and silica gel bag. Each of them needs different places.
This first option helps prevent the corrosion of both guns and safes. By limiting moisture, the dehumidifier rod helps extend the lifetime of the safe and smooth the gun operation. Still, these benefits will not happen when you do not place the device in the right place.
Three suitable places for this type of dehumidifiers include:
- On the gun safe’s bottom: We suggest placing the device at the front side or deep inside the safe. The position near the door or back of the wall is also not a bad idea. Since there are holes in the wire at the bottom, you can plug in the dehumidifier conveniently.
- At the center point inside the back wall: The position needs predrilled holes for the cord to pass through. If they are not available, you have to drill the holes yourself.
- Inside the middle of the door: In this case, you also need to drill some holes for the wire.
Desiccant-based Dehumidifier & Moisture Absorber
When you find it inconvenient to drill holes for the wire yourselves, a desiccant-based dehumidifier should be the best alternative for the dehumidifier rod above. As a typical non-electrical dehumidifier, this type has silica gel beads for moisture absorption from the air.
Where to place a dehumidifier in the gun safe?
So, where to place a dehumidifier in a gun safe?
As for both desiccant-based dehumidifiers and moisture absorbers, you can place them inside the gun safe’s shelves. We suggest keeping them at the center point so that the devices can absorb the moisture from different corners easily.
In case that the middle is not available, you can move them to the top or the gun safe bottom.
Silica Gel Bag
On the market these days, silica gel bags come as the most common dehumidifier used for the gun safe. Gun owners often place these bags in the corner of the safe.
In production, manufacturers put the silica beads inside the bag to prevent direct contact. However, you still need to pay attention so that these parts cannot touch the firearms or any valuable objects placed inside the safe.
How To Install A Dehumidifier In A Gun Safe?
Before getting started, it is a must to ensure that you are installing the dehumidifier on a dry surface. The following is a step-by-step instruction for you:
- Step 1: Place the humidifier horizontally and keep it as low as possible.
- Step 2: Drill holes for the wire on the safe’s wall.
- Step 3: Let the electrical cord pass through the predrilled holes on the safe’s wall (from inside to outside).
- Step 4: Use the mounting clips to keep the rod in place. Make sure that the rod does not interfere with any hinges or locking lugs.
- Step 5: Attach the mounting clips to the safe interior with screws.
- Step 6: Snap the rod into the clips.
One note is that you should leave the wire with a clean-cut end and not split it. Additionally, you must remove a back cover of the plug housing and place the cord with the prongs of that cover.
How To Organize A Dehumidifier With The Gun?
Keeping everything inside the safe organized is always an effective solution to protect both your ammunition and gun collection. So, how to do it?
Silica gel bag
You must place your weapons separately in the safe. A reasonable gap among them can help to prevent unexpected accidents from happening. Besides, the more space there is inside the safe, the more effectively a dehumidifier can work. The distance among the guns can ensure the proper operation of the dehumidifier over time. Hence, you should not put too many objects into the gun safe.
Are There Any Safety Warnings Before Installation?
The installation is not as simple as just placing the dehumidifier into the gun safe. There are numerous safety warnings you must keep in mind. Some of them come as follows.
- Do not use dehumidifiers for the gun safe outdoors since they are the devices for indoor use.
- Do not let the dehumidifier, plug, and cord get wet in water or any type of liquid.
- Do not use the dehumidifier in the places near explosives as well as flammable fumes.
- Do not run the dehumidifier with the damaged cord.
- Ensure to unplug the dehumidifier before installing.
- Do not share the plug for the dehumidifier with other devices.
The Bottom Lines
Now again, where do you put a dehumidifier in a gun safe?
The answer, undoubtedly, depends on the models you choose as well as several safety warnings that we mentioned above. We hope that all of the information will be helpful so that you can use the dehumidifier properly for the gun safe.