Can You Move A Gun Safe With An Appliance Dolly? Gun Owners Tips
It is no secret that moving a gun safe is tough work. That’s why so many people invest in an appliance dolly that can help them move their safes in and out of the house. However, many people suppose that appliance dollies are only suitable for helping move stuff such as refrigerators and washing machines. So, can you move a gun safe with an appliance dolly?
If you are not sure about this, we would love to share some of our advice and guidelines on this topic. Let’s dive into this post to find out the answer!
Can you move a gun safe with an appliance dolly?
Can You Move A Gun Safe With An Appliance Dolly?
Definitely yes, you can move a gun safe with an appliance dolly. Even though there are many different types of moving equipment in the market, professional movers still suppose that one heavy-duty dolly is the safest way to move your strongbox.
This one has been proven credible for handling extreme weight, dimensions, or even when driving off-road conditions through times.
How To Move Gun Safe With An Appliance Dolly?
Professionals utilize various specialized equipment to make sure your items are moved quickly and, most importantly – without getting damaged in transit.
It is extremely important to have the right equipment for your project. If not, your work will never get done. In case you are planning on moving your home with the help of a few buddies, be sure to get yourself an appliance dolly. This will make it easier for everyone in the towing process as they have more space and can wheel big rigs around easily.
Here we provide six steps to help you move gun safe with an appliance dolly correctly:
Step 1: Gather Your Friends and Family
When you’re ready to start the move, ensure that two or three people on hand can help with lifting and maneuvering. Additionally, it would be great to have someone knowledgeable about gun safes.
Since a gun safe could weigh more than half a ton, someone in your group must know how to move a 2,000-pound safe around. The weight is not an issue because they have the skills necessary for lifting such heavy items.
Gather your friends and family to move a gun safe
Step 2: Rent a moving dolly from a local moving company
Carefully preparing the appropriate equipment for gun safe movement is essential to ensure safety. The heavy equipment and small accessories listed below are well suited to meet the safety and dependability requirements of utilizing a dolly to transport gun safes.
- Appliance Dolly: If you want to move your gun safe, assure that the dolly is strong enough for the job. It is important to invest in a stair-climbing dolly if you’re moving your safe downstairs or upstairs. Carrying out such tasks without the help of appropriate tools would only result in more damage or injury.
- Moving Straps: The safe should be secured with a strap to the body of the moving dolly to ensure that it will not shift to the sides or fall forward. This step contributes greatly to how smoothly you will be transporting the safe without having to correct its position.
- Loading Ramp: This component has two advantages. Firstly, it is useful for carrying items from moving trucks. Second, in areas where the use of stairs is prohibited, you can place the loading ramp over the stairs for easy and safe transport up and down.
- Work Gloves: This small addition allows you to transfer your safe safely without injury in the event of a collision between two hard surfaces (the gun safe and the wall).
Step 3: Empty your gun safe
You can make your heavy safe less burdensome by removing all weapons, ammo, especially loaded guns, or any goods you might be storing inside it. Taking everything out of the inside frame makes moving easier and ensuring your step one is completely done.
Step 4: Load the safe on
Here comes the essential step – carefully loading your safe onto the dolly. Let’s follow these below steps carefully:
- Place the dolly next to your safe.
- Get your friends or helpers to stand on the opposite side, then gently tilt it back.
- After positioning the dolly right underneath your safe, push forward until it is resting against a two-wheeled cart.
- Make sure you secure the safe, so it stays still while on a moving dolly. Use ropes or straps to tie down any movement, then tighten them for stability.
- Before you load the strongbox, tilt the dolly back on its wheels and balance it well. Ensure that there is not too much weight, or else one side will tip over while transporting.
Stand next to your friends so they can help hold down a part of this heavy box until we get close enough for someone in our group to drive up with their truck.
Step 5: Move your safe down the stairs (if you have the safe upstairs)
Gun safes, especially heavy ones, can be hard to move around. Don’t worry if you find yourself in this predicament and need help getting them downstairs. There are plenty of ways to move your safe downstairs with a hand truck:
- There is always the risk of injury when you are dealing with a heavy yet bulky object. To minimize the riskiness, be sure no one is downstairs in its path.
- When going downstairs, please do not tilt your hand truck too far back. Otherwise, you might lose balance and fall down the stairs.
- Approach the stairs with wheels straight on to avoid tipping.
Moving the safe down the stairs
Step 6: Pack your safe inside of your moving truck
When you get to your moving vehicle, find a large enough space for the safe and then load it up. So, how to do that?
The best method to get the immense safe on the vehicle is with help from an attached motorized loading ramp. The mechanized loading ramp will be the perfect solution to ensure your moving day goes as smoothly and efficiently for you. Yet, if you don’t have a mechanized loading ramp, bring along a standard wheeled dolly.
A loading ramp helps your moving day goes as smoothly
It’s important to have someone pull it up while all others push it in during the process of using a regular loading ramp to load your safe on the truck. The tip here is that they need to give off no momentum so as not to hurry things and end with an unbalanced load.
To keep things moving smoothly, it’s important not to stop when you reach the end. Use your momentum from climbing up and get that heavy safe inside in one shot. Noticeably, remember to secure your safe with straps or rope when you’ve already got it inside your truck.
What Is An Alternative Way To Move A Gun Safe?
Moving your safe is no joke at all, and you cannot do it alone. Listen up – don’t make the task any more difficult than necessary.
The high cost of hiring movers to move your gun safe may be too much for some people, but it is an effective alternative solution if you choose the right company. You will easily get all the help and protection needed for an easy move with 800 pounds or less.
Can you move a gun safe with an appliance dolly? Yes, with the right set of instructions and tips, anyone can move a gun safe easily with an appliance dolly. Follow the six mentioned steps to help you move your firearms safely from one location to another without any hassle or damage.
We hope this information will come in handy for anyone looking for a way to keep their weapons out of harm’s way at home and want them nearby when needed. If you have any questions about handling the transfer process, feel free to reach out anytime.